What is the bike chicago program?
Applications for Bike Chicago, a new program that will give Chicagoans 5,000 free bicycles, as well as “maintenance and safety equipment” by 2026, opened Monday.
The program is part of Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s $188 million Chicago Recovery Plan, which came out with the goal of “enhancing affordable and climate-friendly mobility options” for the city.
“Every resident of our city deserves equal access to safe, reliable and affordable clean transportation options,” Lightfoot said in a statement.
The program will begin this summer by distributing at least 500 bikes to eligible residents. It will gradually increase distribution until 5,000 bikes are provided, the city said.
Through this post, we will tell you how to participate in the city of Chicago bike giveaway? How to apply to get a bike? And what are its eligibility requirements? So without delay let’s start it.
How to Apply for Bike Chicago application?
To apply for the Bike Chicago application, you must check the eligibility requirements first. once you are eligible for the city of Chicago bike giveaway, you can follow the step below.
Step 1: First of all, Visit the official Bike Chicago application page – https://webapps4.chicago.gov/eforms/bikechicagoapplication/ (Link)
Step 2: Read the eligibility and Enter all required details in the form. such as –
Step 3: Household Information
- In this section, you need to enter the “Household Size” and “Total Gross Household Income”.
Step 4: Applicant Information
In this section, you need to enter the Applicant details in the form.
- First Name
- Last Name
- Phone Number
- Age *
- Do you own a bike (those that own a bike are not eligible for a free one)?
- Are you a participant in a 2022 CDOT mobility program?
- Will you need an adaptive bike? If yes, a city staff person will reach out to you to discuss your needs.
- Adaptive bikes are specifically designed for people with physical and developmental disabilities.
- How would you use your bike (select all that apply)?
- May we send you our monthly email newsletter?
Step 5: Primary Residence Address
- Number *
- Direction *
- Select Direction
- Street Name *
- Select Street Name
- Zip Code
- Community area
Step 6: Select the “Application Terms and Conditions”.
Step 7: Once you complete the Application form, then click on the “Submit” button.
Bike Chicago application Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to apply for the bike, applicants must:
- become a Chicago resident
- be at least 14 years old
- Have a household income at or less than 100% of the area’s median income for Chicago (for example, less than $104,200 for a family of 4)
- don’t already have a bicycle
- Live in an area that faces high mobility difficulty (see this map for more)
- Participate in CDOT 2022 Mobility Programming (Green Corps, Learn to Ride and Open Boulevard events).
Note- Those under the age of 18 will need a guardian when picking up bikes and equipment.
Bike Chicago application by Mail
You can apply online or through the mail. The 2022 application window will open on July 18 at 11 am and close on August 4 at 11:59 pm.
MAIL: Mail your completed application to the following address:
Chicago Department of Transportation
ATTN: Bike Chicago Bike Distribution Program
2 N. LaSalle St., Suite 1110
Chicago, IL 60602
When will the bikes be distributed?
According to CDOT, the bikes for eligible residents will start being delivered in August 2022. Each spring and summer over the next four years until 5,000 bikes are delivered.
Depending on demand, the city may implement a lottery for eligible residents for 2-4 years of the program.